How to use a Park Tool CT-7 Bicycle Chain Tool
The following information was derived from the Park Tool Company instruction Manuals
1/8” and 3/16” bicycle and indoor exercise bike chains are commonly used on track, BMX, and freestyle
bicycles. Below are general instructions for using the Park Tool Company CT-7 to separate and
assemble bicycle links when sizing, installing, or removing these chains.
For chains that use a “master link” system, follow the manufacturer’s
instructions for separation and assembly. Use the CT-7 only to add or
remove links when sizing the chain.
Note: The Park Tool CT-7 is designed for use with 1/8” and 3/16” chains only. Park Tool
CT-2, CT-3, CT-4, or CT-5 should be used for 3/32” derailleur type chains.
1. If the chain is installed on the bike, loosen rear wheel axle nuts to relieve
2. Place link of the bicycle chain over the primary cradle of tool and center chain
tool pin in chain rivet.
3. Turn the handle to force the rivet out the backside of the bicycle chain. Do not press the old rivet
completely out the backside of the chain. Only press the rivet enough to allow
the bicycle chain to be separated.
1. Place assembled link of the chain over primary cradle of the Park Tool and center the chain tool pin on the chain rivet.
2. Turn handle until rivet is pressed into chain. When properly assembled, an equal amount of rivet should be showing on each side of chain.
3. Remove tool and inspect the bicycle chain link. Because of the extreme pressure needed to assemble a bicycle chain, sometimes a “tight link” develops. If this happens,
place link over tight link cradle and turn handle until pin contacts rivet. Turn handle slightly to press on rivet and loosen tight link